Difference between revisions of "Verse:AETHER/History"
(Tags: Mobile edit, Mobile web edit)
Revision as of 04:49, 13 February 2020
A time-traveler English timeline; English is an Indo-European language that is essentially the same as ours but originated from a fictional, non-Germanic branch of IE. (premise inspired by Verse:Lõis/English)
A kind of "Transatlantic accent", inspired by Californian + Philly + Modern RP/Estuary. In continuum with a Philly-like accent.
- orange = [ɒɹɪndʒ~ɔɹɪndʒ]
- Mary [mɛəɹi] ≈ merry [mɛɹi] ≠ marry [maɹi]
- Mirror-nearer distinction
- Hurry-furry distinction
- No mergers before /l/
- egg rhymes with vague
- L is light [l] before vowels and dark [ɫ] otherwise, as in RP.
- wholly-holy split.
- Glottal reinforcement before voiceless stops.
- /p t k/ are aspirated after stressed syllables as in RP.
- wine-whine merger optional.
- /r/ may be [ʋ] between vowels.